Friday, May 18, 2018

The Battle of Waterloo: The British Squares Receiving the Charge of the French Cuirassiers by Félix Philippoteaux



This painting is by Felix Philippoteaux (1815-1884) s called 'The Battle of Waterloo: The British Squares Receiving the Charge of the French Cuirassiers'. I had a postcard of this when I was a boy, which my father bought me on a visit to Apsley House (where it is displayed) in about 1971. I loved it, of course, because it showed those Airfix Napoleonic favourites; Cuirassiers and Highlanders. Philippoteaux was only born in 1815 and this painting wasn't completed until 1874, many years after the battle of which it captures the quintessence.

Philippoteaux collaborated with his son Paul on a vast (more than a hundred yards long) cyclorama of the Battle of Gettysburg . Since lost, several more copies were made including the one in the Gettysburg visitors centre

No comments:

Post a Comment